Antique Dresser Makeover
If you've been following along my DIY projects, you probably know by now that flipping antique furniture is basically my favorite hobby. Dressers, however, hold a special place in my heart for DIYs as my first project was my mother's old antique dresser. I lucked out on this antique from a friend who was moving and needed some stuff to go quickly. It had been painted hot pink and although I knew I was going to use it in my little girl's room, but I wanted to make it more neutral for future use. I really wish I can find a picture of the "before" product as I know I have a picture SOMEWHERE but for the life of me I cannot find it. If or when I come across it I will add it to this post.
Mom helped A LOT on this project since I was going through the height of pregnancy. I wasn't able to do the dirty work this time because the fumes were pretty bad from the products we needed to use to strip the paint. We were sure to be extra careful about that, plus all the lifting and moving stuff, I just needed the help.
Because of the pink paint that was used we had a few extra steps to complete to ensure the new paint would look smooth and original. We tried to include detailed description on how to strip hard to remove paint so hopefully it helps anyone out there looking for ideas!
Here are some supplies we used to complete this project:
- Automatic Sander
- Dust Mask
- Rubber Gloves
- Pure Gold Acrylic paint
- White Valspar Indoor paint
I started out with washing the dresser inside and out thoroughly, letting it dry, and sanding as much as I could. With the type of paint that was used by the owner before me, we needed a special stripping liquid to help get the paint up. Mom used the Citristrip gel which really helped in getting the paint up faster. Definitely be careful during this process though because the smell is very strong, and mom had to take multiple breaks while doing this to get fresh air. She worked on this inside because it was fairly cold outside, otherwise we would have done this part outside. I highly recommend doing something like this when you are able to do it outside or have many fans helping ventilate the room with fresh air if you must do it inside. I was pregnant at the time so I steered clear of this part of the project.
You can see in the picture below how the gel bubbled the paint up and then mom was able to scrape it right off because sanding it (no matter the grit of paper) was not working!
Used this super glue for the couple of drawers where the bottoms were loose.
We did few white coats of paint and then I used "Pure Gold" acrylic for the indented detailing on the sides of the dresser.
Finished product now in baby Caroline's nursery! I loved the results, and ironically we gave away a dresser exactly like this one (color and all) when I was little! Funny how things come back around. :)
As always, thanks for reading!
Like and share if you feel up to it!